Friday, April 2, 2010

An unrecognizable nostalgia


View Larger Map

The days are running into one another in the way that only vacation days can.

We started the day off with a visit to the temple this morning. It’s easy to forget about the majesty and power of some of the big temples. Not that I don’t love the Halifax temple, but it is a different experience. I only got lost twice.

Later, we were able to take Madison Pilling and Crystal Kearley out for lunch. The kids got real kick out of visiting, and it was fun hear about their experiences. Madison said that going together was just like being back in Nova Scotia, only there's nowhere in Nova Scotia to get Mexican food as good as what we had at Ramirez's. Yum!

Bob and Kathy took us out form more Mexican food at Bajio's. Man, I could eat that stuff morning, noon and night.

We got to tour the campus a bit which was practically unrecognizable. It's grown so much that it feels like a different school. I guess you really can't go back, but you can buy a t-shirt to prove you've been.

Sometimes I confuse my fondness for my past experiences at Ricks with a desire to relive those experiences. As we’ve walked around campus and as we visited with Crystal and Madison, I’ve come to better understand the distinction. I had a great experience here some fifteen years ago. How could I not have? It was the place where I met and courted my wife. But as I look at these young couples strolling starry-eyed through the temple parking lot, do I have any desire to go back and do it all over? Absolutely not. Once was good, and the memories are more than I need.

3 comments:

Joel Glanfield said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joel Glanfield said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joel Glanfield said...

was the food better than what you get at Mexico Lindo in Halifax?