Monday, April 12, 2010

Day 17 -- A thing resembling rest


View Larger Map


And here we stayed.

Whether it was the most comfortable mattress I have ever in my life slept upon, or whether it just felt that way really doesn't matter, does it? I just knew that when I opened my eyes in the morning, there was only one thought running though my head--I never want to leave. Now I don't want to discount the many gracious host who have heretofore opened their homes and lives to us. I am grateful to each of them, and would not trade those nights on air mattresses or pull-out couches for anything, but if there needs be opposition in all things, I have endured the spotty sleep of a slowly exhaling air mattress that I might know the rest of cushioned springs.

The goal of the day was to get on the road early, but the Picards said there was no hurry, and we took them literally. After a morning of luxuriating, we had a great visit with Julie's Uncle Bill in the afternoon and then went to the rec center around the corning for a swim to tire out the kids. It worked. It was on our way to the pool that Julie told me she wouldn't be swimming, so, dear reader, you have her to thank for the pictures of my in all my pale, skinny, middle-aged glory.


I spent a good portion of the day fantasizing about the bed and its promise of peaceful slumber, but James became a little croupy. For some reason his struggle with breathing prioritized his need for a bed. Although Julie got to share the bed with James, I took some consolation in the knowledge that she got even less sleep than I did on the air mattress in the play room.

No comments: