Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Case of Many, Many Mormons: General Conference Weekend


View Larger Map

There was snow on the ground...again. The problem with having already blogged about the Julie’s counsel to not bring my hat and gloves is that I can’t really revisit it on the Internet the way I do every morning when I look out onto a snow covered setting and say to her, “Boy, I sure am glad I didn’t use up that valuable space in our van for a hat and pair of gloves.” You’d think she’d be getting tired of the same comment again and again, but she loves it She still laughs as if I’ve only told the joke once instead of a half-dozen times. But once you put it on the Internet, it just feels unoriginal and repetitive.

We drove from Logan to Salt Lake early Saturday morning. We had tickets everyone to go to general conference, but the tickets said ages eight and up. We were tempted to try to sneak Miranda into the meeting but were worried someone would give a talk on integrity. So Miranda and James and I wandered temple square for a couple of hours after finding a parking spot. Temple Square is kind of like a little Disney World for Mormons. There are movies, museums, dioramas and lots of smiling people. The two of them were easily entertained. Lucy and Liam came out of the morning session excited and enthused. There’s just something about joining in with some twenty five thousand other saints and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir to sing “Guide Us O Thou Great Jehovah” that’s pretty neat.

We spent the afternoon with Matt and Liz Lambert and Rozanne Hall (Roger was around, somewhere). It was great to catch up and we ended up talking through the afternoon session (fortunately I do have some time to catch up on the road east).

Liam and I attended Priesthood session. I really can’t describe what it was like to be there with him, so I won’t even try.

Saturday night we stayed up much too late visiting which obviously had an impact on the following day.

For those of you who might have missed a talk or two, the church has a great new website for navigating conference talks right here: https://beta.lds.org/general-conference?locale=eng

Sunday afternoon, we were able to visit Anadel and her family. We were worried we might miss them, but they invited us for lunch and our kids were able to spend some time with the last of their cousins on the Nelson side.

Sunday was another late night of conversing. Our kids were getting along so well with Liz and Matt’s that we almost forgot we were in the same house (and consequently forgot to put them to bed at a reasonable hour).

Though the trip has been both spiritually and emotionally energizing, these constant late nights and long days are taking their toll. I feel like I’m blah-gging instead of blogging.

No comments: