Sunday, July 29, 2012

Where we are and what we've been up to.


We finally conceded our apartment to the cockroaches. Threw up the white flag, made a calculated retreat. Surrender is another word we could use. Usually, I like to stand my ground especially when the opponents are so tiny. But I have to admit to being overwhelmed by their numbers. I am a man who likes to hold his ground. It’s a matter of pride. Some might call it integrity. I starting to see that waging that war as long as I did was foolishness more than anything. Defeat is a word with such negative connotations, but it’s not always bad. Defeat teaches humility. It teaches prudence. It gives you perspective. And, in rare circumstances, defeat can even give you a little more square footage and a better view. Would that all my losses were so profitable.

Our new views. It's refreshing to see the water.

I hate the process of moving, but I also hate stating the obvious. Everyone hates the process of moving, but we all love the promise of being settled. That’s what I’m reveling in right now—the promise of being settled. We’re still a few weeks out from things having their place. It didn’t help that our bookcase couldn’t make it into the elevators of the new place, so we’re still tripping over discretely placed piles of young adult literature and picture books. Libraries tend to grow quickly in this home. Books multiply like tribbles around here, which makes our relationship with Ikea more one-sided than I would like it to be.

It’s hot outside and it’s Ramadan, which means there’s not a lot to do outside. Ramadan is a holy time in Islam where, for a month, Muslims fast everyday from sun up to sundown. They do this so to better understand and feel for the poor. No restaurants are opened during the day, and, except for small children, there is no eating in public until after the sun goes down. It makes for very quiet days and very lively nights. It’s a good thing my kids are fine with indoor type activities. I’ve raised a brood of geeks and bookworms and it does come in handy sometimes (though they haven't watched enough Star Trek to get the above tribbles reference. I'll have to remedy that).
Wii Summer Olympics is something you can do inside that's almost active.

So is piano practice.

They do see the sunlight everyday as we walk from our new place to karate. I miss the convenience of having the dojo in our building, but I do enjoy being followed by my own army of martial arts experts. No one has messed with me since I started going out with them. Who would dare?




Turns out that stop motion film making is also a perfectly acceptable indoor activity.

3 comments:

tawnya said...

Do you remember that time you tried to convince me to watch Star Trek? Yeah...20 years later and I still haven't taken your advice...

Sarah said...

Looks great. I can't wait to see more pictures of the new place.

therese said...

We were in London at the end of Ramadan and went shopping in Southall (little India as it is known) immediately following Eid! The food was outstanding! Annaliesse and Melissa are now the owners of lovely Indian type dresses that they wore as my sister's bride's maids. I didn't bring a camera (who does that???) so I have NO pictures of the wedding. I know, crazy!! Prior to our departure, we did host the Kirchner Family Summer Olympics- so we have that game on wii... just so you know, my record is falling off the horse 5 times in a single run... hard to beat. I was incredibly sore the next day. Who knew staying on a horse with a wii controller would require so many muscles.