Monday, August 8, 2011

I thought we were going to take it easy for the last couple of weeks

Julie and the kids were able to spend some time visiting with her good friend Beth. I spent some time on computer tutor duty with Dad. He's got a list of things he'd like to be able to do, and I actually think I may be able to help him with that. Liam is down to the wire with home school. Tennis lessons had to be missed, but Liam was very understanding. I've been really impressed with what he's been able to accomplish this summer. Now, we just need to figure out how generate those levels of productivity during the actual school year.

Julie spent two nights with the Pillings children. The parents were away and had asked us to check in on them. James was happy to have a sleepover with his friend Chaim and Liam enjoyed his time with his friend Mason. After spending some time visitng and playing games both evenings, I opted out of spending the night for some solitude and uninterrupted reading time back at my Dad's. It's a little selfish, I know, but Julie's forgiven me already, I think.


Saturday morning we spent at the temple and then we rushed over with Dad and Ellen to see Shakespeare by the Sea's "Robin Hood." If you've got a chance to see it, you've really got to go. I've enjoyed all of their productions, but this one was the most polished family show that I've seen them do. It didn't hurt to watch the show on one of the few good weather days we've experienced since coming to Nova Scotia. I actually had to put sunblock on, a first for this summer.

Intermission

Who's that pretty lady?





Saturday night we went with Dad, Ellen and Jessica to MacAskill's for dinner. A trip to Nova Scoia wouldn't be complete without at least one visit to the restaurant. The food was great, and it was nice to have a little bit of grown up time. It's the little things you appreciate like being able to have an entire conversation without having to explain the meaning of a single word or idiom.
Yup, I need a haircut.





Sunday started early and didn't stop until well after sundown. At church we're still getting the "Are you guys still here?" looks. It's like people are hanging on to their goodbyes and can't wait to get them over with. The afternoon was spent at the Pinsents. You might think that taking four kids over to a house with even more kids might result in an incredible level of chaos, but after we ate, all the children vanished and were not heard from until it was time to go. It might be a little unsettling if the peace and quiet were not so well appreciated.

In the evening, Dad had Ruth and Murray Wright for dinner. We've always enjoyed their company and the love they've shown our children. We had a great visit over a fantastic meal. We were also treated to quite the humming bird display.

One of our guests for dinner.

By the time the Wrights left, we were pretty much done for the day, but we had invited the Glanfields over so I could continue my Settlers of Catan winning streak. The dice were not in my favor. Grandma joined in for her first Settlers game and soundly cleaned up.
Lucy being told she can't play.

Us playing. Wait! How did Lucy get there?

I like to think that we've done a pretty good job at visiting with friends and family. Sure, we'd like to spend more time with people, but I am a firm believer in the George Constanza principle of "Leave them wanting more." There were a few times when I felt like we were verging on the point of overstaying our welcome, but for the most part we've spent just enough time with people to remind them about all the things they like about us without bringing up some of our less than desirable traits.

No comments: