Thursday, July 21, 2011

It's hard to play tourist in the place you grew up

I give you Lucy on vacation. Except for the swing, it's pretty
much the same as Lucy the rest of the year.
I know my father enjoys having us around even if we do get in the way, but what he most enjoys is bedtime. No, it's not the family prayers or the hugs all around, it that moment when we get around to putting James to bed. He doesn't bask in the tender care with which we go through the pre-bed rituals. Instead, he savours that moment just after we've done all in our power to put James to sleep, when James creeps guiltily up the stairs. No matter how many times we put him down and he gets back up, I swear it never gets old for my dad. It's almost as if the two of them are in cahoots.
James at the park.

On Tuesday we hung out at some parks, and got on Liam's case about homework, again.


A moth outside my Dad's.
Sometimes you just have to post cool pictures of bugs.

A dragonfly we saw on a brief nature walk. Nature's everywhere around here.

Who is that guy holding James. He looks a little dodgy if you ask me.
Yesterday (Wednesday) my have been our first touristy day in Nova Scotia. We've been having a great time, but so much of our days have been filled with visiting friends and putting in the obligatory time at Costco that we haven't really gotten to be tourists in Nova Scotia (something we had been looking forward to all year). I could blame the weather for our lack of site seeing, but I'm only allowing myself one Nova Scotia weather rant, and I used that up with the last post.

The sun was shining, there wasn't a hint of grey in the skies and there was just enough of a breeze to make the weather seem perfect. We decided to seize the moment and head out to Peggy's Cove. The windy road out there always threatens motion sickness, but we made it just barely. We couldn't have asked for a better day to visit. The kids enjoyed the adventure of climbing the rocks and exploring. The only downside to the whole experience was their Dad forcing them to pose for pictures.











James and I helped my Dad finish a little shed that afternoon and then took it easy for the night because we needed a break after an hour and a half of something actually resembling work.



Also, I think I've passed the point where the effort of putting up with facial hair is greater than the effort it would take to shave said facial hair. I think it's time for the patchy, grey thing that's been discouraging my wife from kissing me to go. I hate to admit it, but I'll probably miss the attention. I'm a bit needy that way (why else would I put so much effort into my blog?). Maybe I'll add a poll...

2 comments:

tawnya said...

I often beg my husband to grow a beard. He rarely complies. Unless we're on vacation. I love vacations...

Christina said...

It's actually starting to grow on me! I think you all look great :)