Thursday, January 27, 2011

The question is, will you find the story of the rolled oats interesting?

We do get quite the sunrises here!
Though many people may find it surprising, I actually don't find myself all that interesting. And posting details about the minutiae of my life, how I'm feeling on a particular day, whether I've actually done the laundry, or all the things I'm currently putting off, has always seemed like a digital plea for attention, so I try to avoid writing about the every day because Facebookitis takes up enough of people's time already. I want to keep people informed, but I'd also like these ramblings to be at least a little bit engaging. I could say that I haven't made an entry because I've been so busy and discombobulated with end of semester loose ends. That would not be true. I've actually been avoiding the blog because I haven't felt like I've had anything really interesting to write about. If wouldn't read it, why would I expect anyone else to want to read it. That would be rather narcissistic, even for me.

There needs to be something interesting happening in one's life, or one needs to find a way to make the tedious interesting (which can be an exhausting prospect). I genuinely believed that life in Abu Dhabi would be one adventure after another, but I just haven't felt very interesting of late until I noticed the stockpile of Quaker Rolled Oats gathering along the tops of our kitchen cupboards.

We live in a good sized apartment, but it is not an apartment conducive to food storage (the rats and cockroaches also tend to discourage one from keeping large quantities of perishable items on the premises). However, Julie has become preoccupied with acquiring large cylinders of Quaker Rolled Oats from a nearby grocery store. Already, you may be starting to ask yourself, How much do those Franks enjoy their rolled oats? It is true that rolled oats have been a staple of our diet since before coming to Abu Dhabi, but in the first four months that we were here, nary a rolled oat could be found, and, trust me, we looked.

To understand the life of the consumer in Abu Dhabi, you need to think of the last time you were in Costco and, while there, perhaps you saw a really good deal on a bulk bag of shredded coconut. You know that the bag will probably last you six months of macaroon madness, but at the end of that six months you have no guarantee of whether or not they'll have that coconut in stock at the end of six months, so you buy two, just in case. That's life here in a nutshell. It feels like you can get anything you want, but if you find something you really like (and it'll keep), you'd better stock up.

As for the state of the family in general, we've all been reading a lot, but listing the books I've been reading feels a little showy (or in the case of a few recent titles, a little embarrassing), and we've been watching a few movies, but if you're looking for something to watch, there are a lot websites on this here Internet that can help you choose. Obviously, if people have questions or interests about our lives, we're more than happy to answer them. Just post them in the comments section.

I guess if I could sum up my governing philosophy for this website, it would be thus: Posts will attempt to be interesting and engaging. Tedium available upon request.



People look happy, right?

6 comments:

Christina said...

I want tedium! And lists of books that you and your children are reading!

Sarah said...

You can just post pictures if you're not up to writing!

liz said...

I think this may be a male vs. female issue. All of us moms fill our blogs with tedium. I love to know what movies people watch, what they have for dinner, what books they're reading. So keep it to yourself, if that's what feels right to you, but don't worry about me being bored by details if you feel like sharing some. Those pictures of the family are beautiful, and reassuring, I'm sure, to some members of your family!

The Denning Family said...

if I were to eliminate tedium from my blog...I don't think I would have one! So now I understand why you guys don't read it. Ha Ha. Just kidding. The pictures are beautiful! I love the lush looks of summer.

The Super Seven said...

Great pictures......Lucy needs to work on not letting her eyes smile so much :) Always love reading your updates.......and would love to hear what you are reading. I need to get back into some books.....I'm way overdue!!!

therese said...

ouch.
I am one for what you call tedium. I don't feel it is tedium in any way though. I really feel that part of the adventure of going over there is the quest for rolled oats, and when not available then WHAT ARE YOU HAVING FOR BREAKFAST? That's part of the excitement of being out of country, away from Costco! I am curious about a lot of things: how plush is the toilet paper there? What kind of hair styling products are available when the ladies all cover their hair with scarves? What truly constitutes a good falafel?? Please, keep the tedium flowing!!